RAREX, WasteWater Radar of Extremadura
Taking into account current needs and the global panorama in which we are immersed given the advance and effects of COVID-19, Ambling launches the “Radar de Aguas Residuales de Extremadura (RAREX)” project, whose main objective is to systematize and protocolize a system for monitoring and early detection of viruses in wastewater from Extremadura.
The project has the participation of the Centro Tecnológico Nacional Agroalimentario de Extremadura (CTAEX) and with the support of the Cáceres and Badajoz Provincial Councils.
The project is based on the achievement of the following objectives:
- Alert the competent authorities early. In this way, the analyzes can be provided immediately, especially those that are positive, through a digital platform. Thus, the health authorities will be able to act as soon as possible and establish the designated protocols to prevent the virus from spreading in the localities.
- Increase the efficiency and sensitivity of viral RNA detection methods in wastewater. For this, the wastewater concentration systems will be fine-tuned, in order to guarantee the analysis of the samples while speeding up the same by reducing the necessary times. During the project, new probes that detect a greater number of genes will be applied to track viral RNA in water.
- Implement action protocols, both from the moment of selection of the sampling points and times, as well as the analysis of the samples, it may be used for detection.
- Establish a system of traceability and management of samples that can be extrapolated to other fields in order to guarantee the correct handling of these and always have control and that any anomaly in the system can be detected quickly.
- Rule out transmission risks associated with the viability of SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater through photoactivation that verify if positive water samples could have infective capacity and be a potential route of contagion.
- Contribute to the VATar COV-19 alert network nationwide.
- Strengthen the bases of future epidemiological studies based on wastewater in Extremadura,not only for the detection of SARS-COV-2, but of any emerging virus that is of special relevance and must be controlled.
The project is part of the sectors of diagnosis and computer processes to store and process data related to the early detection of the SARS-COV-2 virus and activation of the appropriate protocols by the health authorities of the Extremadura region.